Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lots of Random Stuff

Not that I'm an expert, but a Skype conversation I just had reminded me that I need to pimp some good music from Indian rock.

  1. Junkyard Groove - One of my favourites. If I had to recommend any band from India, this would be it. It's Okay is an amazing song by them.
  2. Parikrama - These guys are pretty famous all things considered. But It Rained is a good listen. 
  3. Pentagram - I'm not a big fan of their style, but Voice is simply brilliant, and you should listen to it over and over again or something. 
  4. Them Clones - I love these guys. The Bomb Song is really, really good. Good vocals and lyrics. Though that's about the same for all of the songs I've linked.
---
I had my french oral today. My final oral ever. I, uh, don't know how to feel about that, seriously. I decided, literally on a whim, to talk about African influences in French music, and ended up with the best excuse ever to blare loud music at midnight. 
"It's for my oral, OKAY!"
I've been listening to quite a bit of Raï as a result . The real result of that was discovering that a) Briggitte Fontaine had Arabic influences in her music and b)  I really like Cheb Khaled. He was the guy who came up with the slightly bizarre Didi (which has a Bengali version, amusingly enough), and - in my opinion sublime - Aïcha.
I need to take a teddy bear with me to my exams I think. Hugging things is surprisingly morale-boosting, if  the effects of embracing my schoolbag are anything to go by. I got through psychology with it in my arms okay.

---
My friend in Singapore has tickets to Death Cab for Cutie and I feel frustrated that we got Pitbull instead. Yeah, I'm not a fan of rap. I've been trying to listen to socially-conscious rap of late, since Nicki Minaj makes me want to kill something, and I've taken a liking to Das Racist, Mos Def and this one song by the Roots called The Fire.

---
 I've been playing Devil Survivor 2 on and off this week and it's a really good game. A bit difficult, but immensely satisfying. The soundtrack is really good too, so I'm a happy camper right now. I also got The Last Story while I was at it, and with a few tweaks, it had PS3 quality graphics on Dolphin (but never a real Wii) - it looks really good. Xenoblade was another pretty game, but it had awful character models, which LS clearly does not. Xenoblade was more captivating in it's first few minutes than this though. I haven't really gone OMG THIS IS SO COOL yet.
There's a scene in Devil Survivor 2 where a cat gets abandoned, and well, it near brought me to tears because I love animals I guess. Somehow, the way the whole thing was animated, along with them actually voicing the kitty (with the most pathetic, depressing meows ever), was just so damn sad. My entire reaction to the scene was "No oh no you don't goddamn it COOKIE! WHY WOULD YOU JUST LEAVE HIM THERE?!"
I hate people who abandon animals, because well, they're family. They love you and rely on you, and cheer you up when you're down. I can't even imagine losing my dog, even though she's old and stuff. If somehow, I could stop her from ever dying then I'd be really happy. She's visibly aging now. Bad back and what appears to be a messed up leg. Cataracts in both eyes and a depleted sense of smell. A little white beard and whitening muzzle. She's as beautiful as ever, but you can see that she's definitely on the wrong end of life.

Well, that was depressing. I need to go give her a hug now.

2 comments:

  1. That's from the CD I gave you. Whee :)
    And gosh, that song by Junkyard Groove is my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura? Not as cool as Playa, let's face it :3

    ReplyDelete